Our Mission and Objectives
- – promote new compositional works by Australian and international composers
- – inspire, train and develop Australian musicians in the performance of contemporary music
- – promote Sydney as a leading center for the composition and performance of contemporary orchestral music
- – engage with local communities to enhance cultural diversity in NSW through contemporary music
- – give composers from all nationalities the opportunity to have their works performed by professional musicians thus promoting our diverse culture through contemporary music.
The Sydney Contemporary Orchestra (SCO) promotes new music by today’s composers from Australia and around the world.
- We have a vision of enriching the cultural life of Sydney and establishing Sydney’s reputation as a leading center for the performance of contemporary music.
- We are the only Australian orchestra dedicated solely to performing the music of today’s composers.
- We engage locally based professional musicians – and we provide our musicians with specialized training and direction in the performance of new contemporary music
- We provide Sydney audiences with opportunities to hear live performances of the music of today’s composers – opportunities that would not otherwise be available to them. We also educate our audiences by inviting composers to speak to the audiences during our concerts
- We support and promote today’s generation of contemporary composers, recognizing the importance of their role in creating a musical legacy for our times. We work with both leading established composers – and also with up-and-coming composers who would not otherwise have the opportunity to have their works performed.